Federal Firearm Laws

Federal Prohibited Areas - No Firearms Allowed

It is ILLEGAL, even if you have a concealed firearm permit, to carry a firearm in any prohibited area listed under Federal Law.

Prohibited Areas Include:

  • Federal Facilities includes any building that is owned, leased, or rented by the Federal Government, and any part of a building that the Federal government has rented for office space, but only covers the office and part of the building they have control over, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
  • Federal Courts including the courtroom, judges’ chambers, witness rooms, jury deliberation rooms, attorney conference rooms, prisoner holding cells, offices of the court clerks, the United States attorney, and the parole offices, and adjoining corridors of any court of the United States.
  • ALL buildings in National Parks/National Forests. You must abide by the laws of the state where the park/forest is located.
  • Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Military Bases (Utah Army Nation Guard members are exempt on Utah owned installations)
  • Post Offices Including Parking Lots
  • U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Property
    You CAN have unloaded firearms in your vehicle and request a “permission letter” from the district commander allowing you to conceal carry for the term of your visit on USACE property.

Indian Reservations:

Native American land is controlled by tribal law. You must check with each tribe before taking a firearm on their land. Some Tribes consider federal and state highways through their property as being under their control.
See more here.

ATF Gun-Free School Zone Notice

Generally, it is unlawful for any individual to knowingly possess a firearm within a school zone. A school zone is defined as being within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial, or private school. This prohibition does not apply to the possession of a firearm on private property not part of school grounds such as your residence, driveway, commercial storefront, or business.

The Gun-Free School Zone does NOT apply in Utah

ATF Gun-Free School Zone Notice which provides information about firearms near to or in school zones

Purchasing & Selling Firearms

It is LEGAL to purchase and sell firearms through private sales if:

  • The seller is at least 18 years old
  • The buyer is at least 18 years old
  • The seller AND buyer are both Utah residents
  • The buyer is not a prohibited person as defined in 76-10-503 and 18 U.S.C. 922.

Background checks are not required for private sales, but using a Bill Of Sale is highly recommended.

It is ILLEGAL, punishable as a Federal felony with up to 10 years in prison, for any individual who makes a profit from buying and selling firearms or ammunition without a Federal Firearms License (FFL).
It is ILLEGAL to purchase a firearm from a non-resident of Utah unless… (read more)
It is ILLEGAL to sell a firearm to a non-resident of Utah unless… (read more)

It is LEGAL for a non-resident to purchase a rifle and/or shotgun in Utah as long as… (read more)

There is a LOT more information you need to know about purchasing and selling firearms.
We also include buyer and seller safety tips and how to avoid scams.

National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms

It is LEGAL to purchase and possess NFA firearms such as a Suppressor, Short-Barreled Rifle (SBR), Short-Barreled Shotgun (SBS), Fully Automatic, etc. as long as it is registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE {more commonly known as the ATF}) and the possession and transportation are in compliance with all state and federal laws.

Traveling/Moving With An NFA Item Or Suppressor?

If you are traveling/moving out of state it must be a state that allows private ownership of NFA firearms and/or suppressors

NFA Firearm: You are required to submit the ATF Form 5320.20 Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms AT LEAST 45 DAYS BEFORE you travel/move. You are required to have this form returned from the ATF with approval to travel with the NFA firearm(s).

Silencer: Although it’s not required, it’s highly recommended that you submit the ATF Form 5320.20 prior to traveling or moving with a suppressor. If you are driving or flying, keep the current form you have with you AND a copy of the new form you filled out.

  • If a contract or common carrier is used to transport an NFA item, a copy of ATF Form 5320.20 shall be furnished to the carrier and shall be in the possession of the carrier for the duration of the transportation. This will meet the requirements of sections 922(e) and (f) of the Gun Control Act of 1968.

ATF Form 5320.20

Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms

Airports & Flying With Firearms And Ammunition

It is LEGAL to have firearms stored in a vehicle in the parking lot of an airport.
It is LEGAL to carry a firearm in airport non-secure areas such as the airline ticket counters and baggage claim.
It is ILLEGAL to possess any dangerous weapon, firearm, or explosive in airport secure areas as defined in 76-10-529.

  • Traveling with firearms and ammunition must comply with all State and Federal laws, Transportation Security Administration (TSA) regulations, and airline policies.
  • There is a lot of VERY important information including specific information about transporting firearms and ammunition on an airplane that you need to know. We break down all the difficult and confusing information out there and made it very easy for you.

Shipping Firearms & Ammunition

It is LEGAL to ship firearms, firearm parts, and ammunition but it is now a little complicated. It must be done in compliance with federal laws and shipping company policies.

Federal Emergency Powers

It is ILLEGAL for anyone, including law enforcement, to confiscate legal firearms and ammunition during a disaster.

United States Code 18 §922 - Unlawful Acts

See all laws under this section.