Under current law it is a Class A Misdemeanor to change, alter, remove, or obliterate the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of identification on any handgun (pistol or revolver).
This Bill would change the law to include ALL firearms and make it a Third Degree Felony instead of a Class A Misdemeanor. It would also make it a Third Degree Felony if you are found in possession of a firearm which has been altered as described above.
Because this Bill does not restrict any rights we do not support nor oppose this Bill.
We Do Not Support Nor Oppose This Bill
• Makes it a third degree felony to alter or remove identifying marks on a firearm; and
• Makes it a third degree felony to be in possession of a firearm on which the identifying marks have been removed or altered.
U.C.A. 76-10-522 Alteration of number or mark on pistol or revolver.
• Words that have a strikethrough (
example) are to be deleted from the current law.
• Words that are underlined (example) would be added to the current law or be creating a new law.
Section 76-10-522 is amended to read:
76-10-522. Alteration of number or mark on pistol or revolver.
(1) Any person who changes, alters, removes, or obliterates the name of the maker, the model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of identification, including any distinguishing number or mark assigned by the Department of Public Safety, on any [pistol or revolver] firearm, without first having secured written permission from the Department of Public Safety to make the change, alteration, or removal, is guilty of a [class A misdemeanor] third degree felony.
(2) Any person who is found in possession of a firearm which has been altered as described in Subsection (1) is guilty of a third degree felony.