Traveling With or Moving With NFA Firearms & Silencers

Transporting NFA Firearms
If you transport an NFA Firearm into a state which prohibits private ownership you may face serious State and/or Federal felony charges.
NFA firearms can be transported to another state that allows their ownership. The ATF requires prior authorization after a written request to transport any destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun under Section 922(a)(4). The prior authorization does not need to be submitted for silencers but doing so will cover you in case something happens during your travels. The written request must be an ATF Form 5320.20 “Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms”

If a contract or common carrier is used to transport the firearm(s) a copy of ATF Form 5320.20 shall be furnished to the carrier and shall be in the possession of the carrier for the duration of the transportation. This will meet the requirements of sections 922(e) and (f) of the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Moving With An NFA Firearm
If you move, whether it is in the same state or to a different state, it must meet certain requirements.
1. If it is out of state it must be a state that allows private ownership of an NFA Firearm and;
2. You must fill out the ATF Form 5320.20 and submit the paperwork to notify the ATF of your updated information (address, phone number, etc.) On this form, it asks the reason “Why” you are transporting it and where you are going. When you receive the paperwork back from the ATF with approval you may take the NFA Firearm into that state. Although not required, it is highly recommended that you submit this request at least 45 days before you move, especially if it is in a different state because the request can still be refused by the ATF.

To download the ATF Form 5320.20 (PDF) click here.