Utah Concealed Firearm Permit FAQ’s

BCI stands for the Bureau of Criminal Identification is the agency responsible for issuing concealed firearm permits in Utah.

CFP means Concealed Firearm Permit. In most states, it is what an individual must obtain before being able to carry a concealed firearm.
There are many different names such as a Concealed Handgun License (CHL), Concealed Pistol License (CPL), Concealed Weapon License (CWL), Concealed Weapon Permit (CCP) or Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW), but they all basically mean the same thing.

Yes, effective May 9th, 2017 an 18-year-old may apply for the Utah provisional concealed firearm permit.
This permit is the same as the permit a 21-year-old can obtain with the exception that the provisional permit does not allow carrying a firearm "on or about school premises". This means in a or on the grounds of any public or private elementary or secondary school (middle and high schools) as defined in 76-10-505.5.
This permit DOES allow carrying a concealed firearm in a or on the grounds of a public or private institution of higher education (colleges and universities).

See other FAQ's about the provisional permit by clicking on the tab above.

Our Class Includes EVERYTHING You Need
• Utah Permit Application
• Passport Picture
• Copy Of Drivers License/ID
• Live Scan Fingerprints
• FREE Hand Delivery Of Your Application To BCI
• FREE Arizona Non-Resident Permit Application Packet
(Allows you to carry a concealed firearm in New Mexico)
Additional Options
• Arizona Fingerprint Cards, additional $10 (2 cards)

We also provide ALL information from the class to our students to continue learning and training on their own. You can also purchase access to it here.

Our class does not include the permit application fee ($53.25 for Utah residents or $63.25 for nonresidents)

Our class provides more information than any other class in the state. Please plan on it taking approximately 5 hours, depending on your questions.

We request that all students register and pay online to secure a seat in the class. This ensures that the instructor knows how many students will be attending.
Depending on different circumstances, the instructor may have the ability to accept payment at the course by cash or credit/debit card.
If paying with cash, please ensure to bring the correct amount, as the instructor may not have the ability to provide change.

We do not accept personal checks or money orders

To ensure we have enough space for all students, please register at least 24 hours prior to the class.

Anyone can bring a guest FREE of charge, however only paying students will receive a signed and stamped application to obtain the permit.

We encourage all students to take notes, but you don't need to.

All students MUST bring their non-expired driver's license or ID card.

If you are not a resident of Utah, but reside in a state that recognizes or has reciprocity with Utah, you must have a valid permit/license from your home state before you can obtain a Utah permit. Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification.

If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.

No, Utah does not require an applicant to shoot on a range to obtain a concealed firearm permit.

No, there is no test to obtain the Utah permit.

Yes, to find out more click here.

The stamped and signed application is good for one (1) year after the date the application was signed. If the application has not been submitted during that time you must take the class again.

State law gives BCI 60 days to issue or deny a permit, but it usually takes approximately 30 to 45 days. The time period begins when BCI receives the application and processes the payment and it depends on how many applications they are able to process.

Just being arrested would not necessarily disqualify an individual from obtaining a Utah CFP. To see what the disqualifications are click here.

Utah's permit is the most recognized in the Country allowing you to carry a concealed firearm in most states.

To view the Utah reciprocity map click here.